Step 1. Incident reporting and immediate response
After the initial response to an incident is over, organisations should ensure that a formal incident report is completed and stored in a reporting system. The report may require gathering additional information about the incident. Organisations should follow these reporting procedures:
- Use a simple incident reporting system to collect incident information
- Provide staff with easy-to-use templates and training to reduce underreporting
- Train staff on how to report incidents directly in the system or assign a designated staff member to enter reports into the system
- Explain clearly to staff what happens to incident information after a report has been entered into a reporting system
- Ensure confidentiality to protect those affected by the incident.
Consult SIIM Handbook, pages 21, 31, 33 & 36:
Chapter 2, Objective one – Immediate response: 1.3 Security incident follow-up process, 1.4 Communication & 1.5 Dealing with sensitive cases: sexual violence against staff.